Medway Voluntary Action (MVA) are working in partnership with Carers FIRST (CF), NHS Medway CCG and other local voluntary and community organisations to deliver and co-ordinate befriending support in Medway.
Befriending can be defined as: an emotional, supportive, mutual relationship in which companionship is provided on a regular basis by a volunteer.
Befriending can take place face to face, over the phone or in a group setting. The ethos of our befriending support is to encourage and support individuals to nurture their own social connections within their local community – empowering them to move on and even help befriend other local people.
Some important things you should know before making a referral to us:
- The key criteria for being eligible for befriending support is that the person being referred is living in isolated circumstances or has little social contact. Other eligibility criteria applies to specific befriending support provided by MVA and its partners, these will be explained to you once we have received your referral.
- Your referral for befriending support will be reviewed by MVA, who will arrange or signpost you to appropriate befriending support. If it is not possible or suitable to arrange befriending support to an individual, MVA will contact the person who made the referral to explain any decisions made and suggest alternative solutions where possible.
- Befriending is not: the carrying out of any personal care, housework, or other domestic tasks. Neither is it the provision of social care, health support or any caring responsibilities.
- If you know someone who might benefit from the befriending support we offer, then a referral form can be completed by
- A referrer (such as a relative, friend, or health or social care worker) – in this situation, the person being referred must be aware of, and have agreed, to the referral; or
- An individual wishing to refer themselves to the befriending scheme
Download Referral Form And Guidance NotesThe referral form can be downloaded from here.
Guidance notes for completing the referral form can be downloaded from here.
Volunteer as a Befriender
We are looking for volunteers to act as befrienders. If you are interested please contact Dalia, Louise or Nicola using the details given below.
Test Bed Fund
The Test Bed Fund offers grants to organisations operating locally in Medway or Swale for the provision of services and activities that seek to strengthen community cohesion through befriending services . It is specifically designed to pilot new and innovative ways of working.
We are looking for:
- New initiatives to be explored/ tested
- Specialised conditions-focussed befriending support
- Locality-based befriending services
- Further development of existing services
- Stimulating local activities
The Expression of Interest form can be downloaded from here.
All applications must be in by 1st September 2020, with projects starting no later than October 2020
For more information on any aspects of the Befriending scheme please call Dalia, Louise or Nicola on 01634 564939 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.