MVA AGM 2019
Medway Voluntary Action’s Annual General Meeting & 30th Anniversary Celebration took place on Wednesday 27th November 2019 at the St George Hotel, Chatham.
The event celebrated volunteering in Medway by presenting the Barry Clout Award for outstanding contribution to the Medway Voluntary Sector. This
is an annual award in which volunteers are nominated by their peers and colleagues. The Worshipful The Mayor of Medway Councillor Habib Tejan
presented the award to the winners, Martin Nagler and Philip Bungay. He congratulated all the nominees, details of whom can be downloaded from
There was a celebration of MVA’s 30th Anniversary which included a reflection from MVA’s CEO, Jane Howard and this was followed by the cutting of the celebration cake. To watch a video celebrating MVA's 30th Anniversary please click here.
MVA used this as an opportunity to ask the sector about their thoughts on looking ahead to the next 30 years and this included group discussions activities, and an opportunity for each group to feedback. As a result of these discussions, MVA created an action plan & thoughts about their commitments. The plan is summarised below
- Those isolated including refugees
- Young people
- Change of life e.g. retirement
What we will do:
- Work within and monitor the health arena and report back
- Create more networking opportunities
- Investigate more funding opportunities
- Help with building communities
- Represent those not able to communicate for themselves
- Investigate digital inclusion and brokerage
- Provide more opportunities for funding networking and the development of skills
- Broker spaces
- Provide spaces for volunteers
- Provide more guidance for volunteers
- Link communities to support networks
As the year progresses, we have pledged that we will report back on these actions provide a full update at our AGM next year.
Connect Well/Simply Connect was also formally launched at the AGM by the Mayor.