Medway 5 Carers Group
Impacts for Medway Residents
• Peer support for older carers of people with mental health issues.
• Monthly sessions offering guidance and a ‘listening ear’
• Shared experiences around supporting people with mental health issues
How Medway Voluntary Action supported this organisation
Medway 5 Carers Group is a small peer support group that is run on an entirely voluntary basis. The group had been funded by a small grant from Medway Council that was withdrawn due to the economic pressures that Medway Council are facing.
The group was facing closure when they were referred to MVA. MVA were able to provide advice to the group on around:
• The necessity of opening a bank account in order to become constituted
• The value for the group in becoming constituted; along with a template constitution and advice on completing it
The group now has a constitution and bank account in place and are now in the process of identifying funding sources in partnership with Kent Community Foundation.