Medway Volunteer Network

Read More >

2020 Training Brochure - Voluntary and Education Sector

View Now >

2020 Training Brochure - Private Sector

View Now >
Leading and Managing Change
Leading and Managing Change
Understanding the impact of change is both complex more

10-May-2017Funding from the Scottish Power Energy People Trust The Scottish Power Energy People Trust are again making a call for applications from voluntary and charity groups that are helping..

Homeworkers can claim costs via tax relief


As many people have moved to working from home in response to Covid-19 guidance, it might be worth knowing that they can claim tax relief if they have been required to work from home for even one day.

How much you can claim depends on the rate you pay tax, and you must have paid tax in the year you spent money in relation to home working.

An existing service from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) says you can claim relief on things that are used just for your work, and which you do not use in your private life - but you cannot claim relief on things you’ve spent money on if your employer has already provided you with an alternative.

HMRC ask that you keep records of what you have spent, and claim within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

MoneySavingExpert's Martin Lewis has written a blog giving more details about this and the HMRC's new microservice that is helping simplify the process - click here to read the blog.

Don't forget, however,  the HMRC sate that you will NOT be able claim Tax Relief if your employer has already paid back your expenses.

For more information visit the Government website.



No Very

Captcha Image