Supporting Trustees to meet their Duties - The 5-minute Guides from Charity Commission05-Nov-2020
As part of Trustees’ Week 2020, The Charity Commission has launched a collection of ‘5-minute’ guides, designed as simple, easy to understand guides to help trustees run their charities in line with the law.
The new guides from The Charity Commission cover five key areas of charity governance. This ‘essential selection’ covers the basics that the regulator advises all trustees should be aware of.
The guides explain the basics of:
- Financial Oversight - making sure that your charity’s money is safe, properly used and accounted for
- Achieving a Charity’s Purposes – being aware of the rules you must follow to govern your charity.
- Good Decision Making – how to make valid trustee decisions that benefit or endorse your charity
- Addressing Conflicts of Interest – identifying and dealing with conflicts of interest in your charity.
- What to File with the Commission and what Support is Available – understand what your charity must send to the Commission and what services to use to help you get things right
These guides would be a great addition to any trustee induction package, as well as a great way to help new trustees get up to speed on charity governance principles, as well as sharing with existing trustees as a refresher.